Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Andean Wunderkind -- Quinoa

Emerson's first grain was quinoa. 


this nutritionally dense super grain is high in protein, easy to find organic (here in Austin), and fun in texture. 

I prepared according to the package's instructions, and served it straight, then pressed into the sides of avocado chunks. Despite some teething fussiness, I think he is pro. 



all that remains to introduce of major food groups is meat. I'm putting it off a little bc of ethical uneasiness, but I will offer him some salmon soon, nonetheless. *sigh* I would love for him to choose healthy vegetarianism when he's old enough to choose, but for now, his making that choice independently means he needs to know what it's like to eat meat...I'm craving a rare steak now...*facepalm*

Bonus:
With leftover quinoa, I made myself a tasty dish with the following:

dried tart cherries (cranberries work too)
sea salt (Murray River)
tricolor fresh-ground pepper
adobo 
unfiltered EVOO
poppy seeds
great warm or straight out of fridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment